Eligibility & Admission
To be eligible for Odessa Pathway to Teaching, candidates must:
- Have a bachelor’s degree
- Have a 2.5 or better GPA (overall or in the last 60 credit hours of your undergraduate degree) - Transcripts must be provided for evaluation
- Demonstrate content area proficiency via credit hours or subject area TXPACT exam
- English Language Arts and Reading 7-12 - 12 semester credit hours necessary
- Math 7-12 - 15 semester credit hours necessary
- Science 7-12 - 15 semester credit hours necessary
- Provide official copies of transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended
- Include 3 Professional References when completing the online application
- Meet all legal requirements to work in the United States
- Be able to pass a drug test and background check
- TEA Guidance (Click Link for More)
- Pass the TOEFL exam by January 29, 2021 (if required)
After meeting basic eligibility requirements, applicants will be required to participate in and pass several components of an in-person interview. For more details on the selection process, visit the How To Apply section.
As an Odessa Pathway to Teaching apprentice, you may pursue certification in one of the following eight areas:
- Core Subjects EC-6 (English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Fine Arts)
- Core Subjects 4-8 (English, Math, Science, Social Studies)
- English Language Arts and Reading 7-12 (
- Math 7-12
- Science 7-12
At this time, these are the only certification areas offered to OPT participants. While certifications like Special Education, Bilingual, and Spanish are in high demand, our program focuses on the subject areas most needed by our district and that can be supported by our high-quality coursework and coaching. If you are interested in certifications outside of the certifications listed above, you may take the TExES exam to add that certification once you’ve obtained a standard certificate in one of the approved areas through OPT.
Military service members or military veterans can provide transcripts and other service documentation for evaluation. Courses will be reviewed by OPT staff to determine alignment with OPT coursework. Coursework that aligns will be accepted in lieu of the OPT coursework.
Due to the expedited nature of our program timeline and the cohort model we implement, the only candidates eligible to transfer any previous program credits to Odessa Pathway to Teaching candidates transferring from TNTP Academy, due to the similar requirements and schedule of that program. OPT will request candidates records from TNTP and accept credits that have already been completed.