Texas Scholars is a workforce development program in collaboration between Odessa Chamber of Commerce & ECISD along with Ector County businesses and nonprofits.In 2016-17, 541 students met Texas Scholar requirements and volunteered a total of 18,171 hours in the community service. Since the inception of the Texas Scholar program in 1997, ECISD students have volunteered a total of 259,124 hours.Community service hours in Ector County are required to encourage students to expand their awareness of community needs and civic responsibilities. The objective is for students to gain adult insight by beginning to recognize and accept personal responsibility in meeting needs in Odessa and Ector County.
Volunteering helps develop team work and communication skills, builds networking opportunities, and provides a sense of achievement and appreciation.
To become a Texas Scholar a student must be:
Minimum requirements for community service hours submitted are:
- In grades 9-12
- Maintain a 2.75 grade point average
- Complete the Recommended High School or Distinguished Achievement Program or the Foundation with Endorsement graduation requirements
- Volunteer a minimum of 50 hours of community service by April 10 of their senior year (Submit community service forms to the Texas Scholar school coordinator by April 10 annually)
- 9th grade year - 5 hours
- 10th grade year - 10 hours
- 11th grade year - 15 hours
- 12th grade year - 20 hours