The school nurse and trained staff administers ALL medications – prescribed . This includes cough drops. The protocol of administering your child medication is as follows:
1. All medications (prescribed ) will be given by the school nurse or trained staff.
2. The PARENT WILL BRING the medication to the nurse’s office. At NO TIME should the child carry medication to school . This can be potentially UNSAFE should your child or another student get into the back pack and ingest the medication. Medication brought in by a student WILL NOT be given.
3. The parent will sign the medication administration sheet with instructions and times of administration for the medications.
4. The medication should have the child’s name and instructions from the doctor.
5. Herbal medications, medications from other countries, and narcotics WILL NOT be given.
6. If your child has asthma you will also need to have the doctor complete a form providing the nurse with specific instructions regarding your child’s treatment plan. I have these forms in my office. These forms will take very little of your time to complete and will ensure your child’s safety and well being. Any time the doctor makes changes to your child’s treatment plan I must be notified in writing from the doctor of that change.
7. All medication MUST be picked up by the last day of school. Any medication left after the last day of school WILL BE destroyed.