Dr. Scott Muri
We want to welcome Dr. Scott Muri as the new superintendent of schools, effective July 1, 2019.
Dr. Muri most recently served as the superintendent of Spring Branch Independent School District in Houston, a position he held for four years. During that time academic achievement gaps narrowed in 5 of 5 areas, and overall student achievement rose. He also oversaw the redesign of the compensation system and recruiting efforts to more effectively recruit and retain employees. Though slightly larger, Spring Branch ISD is similar to Ector County ISD in budget ($300 million), student enrollment (35,000 ranging from high wealth to economically disadvantaged), to number of employees (4,600).
Prior to taking over at Spring Branch ISD, Dr. Muri served as the Deputy Superintendent of Academics in Fulton County Schools in Atlanta, Georgia, a very large school district with 96,000 students and 100 campuses.
Before joining FCS in Atlanta, Dr. Muri spent five years with another large school district, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools in Charlotte, North Carolina. His roles included Area Superintendent, Zone Superintendent, and Chief Information Officer overseeing research and evaluation, along with technology infrastructure and instructional technology innovation.
Dr. Muri’s educational experience includes time as an elementary school teacher, a middle school math/science teacher, an instructional technology specialist, and high school work as a dean of students, assistant principal and principal.
Throughout his career, Dr. Muri has demonstrated a passion and ability for leading change, improving organizational effectiveness, and significantly improving student achievement and closing achievement gaps. With a focus on working cooperatively with all community groups, Dr. Muri creates a positive and effective teaching and learning environment.
Education & certifications
- Educational Doctorate, Educational Leadership, Wingate University, Matthews, North Carolina, 2011
- Master’s Degree, Public School Administration, Stetson University, Deland, Florida, 2001
- National Board Certified Teacher, Early Adolescence/Generalist, The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, 1994
- Master’s Level Work in Public School Administration, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC, 1994-1995
- Bachelor of Arts in Intermediate Education and Middle School Education, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, 1988