Return to Headlines
Trustees approve new principals, administrator
The Ector County ISD Board of Trustees held a special meeting Tuesday evening. A recap of the agenda is below. Carol Gregg was absent for the first part of the meeting; Nelson Minyard arrived after the meeting started.
- Call to order.
- Verification of Compliance with Open Meetings Law.
- Discussions Items
- Trustees heard the first reading of revisions to board policy AE (Local) Educational Philosophy. This update only adds the vision statement – OUR Students…THE Future – adopted by the school board in a strategic planning meeting on March 7. Because this was the first reading of the proposed change, the board took no action. This item will be brought back for a second reading and vote.
- Trustees spent about 15 minutes in closed session discussing personnel matters.
- Trustees voted 4-0 to approve Jennie Chavez as the new principal for Noel Elementary School. Jennie is the assistant principal at Noel now, her third year in that position. She was also a reading coach, and taught 1st grade for 14 years at Murry Fly Elementary (3 years) and LBJ Elementary (11 years).
- Trustees voted 5-0 to approve Angie Moad as the new principal for Gonzales Elementary School. Angie started with ECISD in 1996 as a teacher at Burleson Elementary. She also taught at Fly Elementary, Zavala Elementary, worked as a campus curriculum facilitator, and as an assistant principal at Gonzales and currently at Goliad Elementary.
- Trustees voted 5-0-1 to approve Stacy Johnson as a new executive director for elementary leadership. Delma Abalos abstained from the vote. Stacy is currently the principal at Noel. She has also served as an assistant principal, instructional curriculum coach and teacher for ECISD. Her experience also includes stints at Pilot Point ISD and Denton ISD. All of these hires officially begin on July 1, 2019.
- At this point Trustees moved into closed session to interview a candidate for superintendent of schools. Throughout this week, the school board is conducting a second round of interviews with potential candidates for the job. The school board began interviewing candidates in March. They interviewed seven people at that time, and then narrowed that list to four for this week. You will find a timeline for the search and other resources at this link - https://www.ectorcountyisd.org/Domain/8943.