Trustees hear brief budget update
The Ector County ISD Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting for May on the evening of the 21st. A recap of the agenda is below. Delma Abalos was absent.
- Call to order.
- Alexia Nunez and Kataleyah Soto from Lamar Early Education Center led the pledges of allegiance.
- Reverend Dawn Weaks from Connections Christian Church gave the invocation.
- Special Presentations included the introduction of the committee that organized the Celebrating Champions of Education event in March; recognition of the two students who designed SSEP Mission Patches to send to the International Space Station; announcement of three Student Crime Stoppers state awards; and the recognition of State Qualifiers in Visual Arts Scholastic Event (12 students), Career & Technical Education (128 students), Powerlifting (8 students), Gymnastics (3 teams), and Golf (1 student).
- Verification of compliance with Open Meetings Act.
- Report Items
B. Trustees received a report on the budget and the district’s financials. Right now, the estimates for local property values are up about 11.5%, which means more potential revenue for the school district. District leaders do not believe there will be a need for an increase in employee contributions to health insurance next year. The final pieces of the budget puzzle will come from the State Legislature once school finance legislation is passed.
A. Trustees heard the plans for this week’s graduation ceremonies. Approximately 1,600 students will graduate this week. The Class of 2019 has earned about $7 million dollars in scholarships and other offers. Because Odessa High School’s baseball team is in the state playoffs on Friday in Arlington, six senior ballplayers will miss graduation but take part in a special ceremony on Thursday.
- Action Items
A. Trustees voted 6-0 to approve the minutes from previous meetings.
B. Trustees voted 6-0 to approve bills for payment.
- Action Items
A. Trustees voted 6-0 to approve low attendance waivers. The Texas Education Agency allows districts and/or campuses to submit a Low Attendance waiver application for instructional days with attendance at least ten (10) percentage points below the last school year’s average attendance. Reasons for the waiver can include weather, health or safety issues. These days can be excluded from Average Daily Attendance calculations for the current school year. For the fifth six-weeks period two middle schools and seven elementary schools have been identified with dates meeting one of these criteria.
B. Trustees voted 6-0 to approve board policy GKDA (Local) Nonschool use of School Facilities: Distribution of Nonschool Literature.
C. Trustees voted 6-0 to approve the revision of board policies CH(Local) Purchasing and Acquisition; FD(Local) Admissions; FM(Local) Student Activities; GKD(Local) Community Relations: Nonschool Use of School Facilities.
D. Trustees voted 6-0 to nominate Dr. Steve Brown to fill a position on the Texas Association of School Boards (TASB) Board of Directors.
- There was no closed session.
- Request for Future Agenda Items – no discussion.
The meeting adjourned at 7:09 p.m.